Tupelo middle-school student charged in bomb threat

TUPELO – A 14-year-old student was charged Tuesday with calling in a bomb hoax at Tupelo Middle School.

No bomb was found, and Tupelo police made the arrest after tracing the call, which came into the 911 call center around 8:45 a.m., said Tupelo Police Capt. Bart Aguirre.

The boy, who had been suspended from the middle school, is being held in the Lee County Juvenile Detention Center, pending a hearing today.

The school was evacuated for about 50 minutes while the campus was searched, said Superintendent Randy McCoy. Students returned to classes about 9:35 a.m.

Although making a false bomb threat can be considered a felony, Aguirre said he expects the case will be handled as misdemeanor in youth court.

If found guilty, the boy could be sentenced to probation, if he’s a first-time offender, or sent to a training school, Aguirre said.

Under school district policy, bomb threats could be considered grounds for expulsion because of the serious nature of the behavior, said Assistant Superintendent George Noflin.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: